1) January 2015 – ongoing
- Postdoctoral Associate in Dr. Evelyn Gaiser’s Laboratory at the Southeast Environment Research Center, Florida International University
- Investigating multiannual and multi-site patterns of biodiversity, biomass and relative abundance of algae and their environmental controls in the framework of the Florida Coastal Everglades (FCE) Long Term Ecological Research Network (LTER) and in relation to the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan Monitoring Assessment Plan (CERP-MAP).
2) September 2008 – December 2014
- Environmental Change Research Centre, University College London
- Self-funded part-time Ph.D. in Freshwater Ecology: “Biodiversity and biomass of algae in the Okavango Delta (Botswana), a subtropical wetland”.
3) March 2007 – July 2008
- Fondazione ENI Enrico Mattei and Euro-Mediterranean Centre for Climate Change
- Reviews of the impacts of climate change on ecosystem goods and services, agriculture and the alpine environment.
- Application of the MARKAL-TIMES model to build a CO2 emission reduction plan for the Lombardy Region.
4) February 2004 – February 2007
- Fondazione Lombardia per l’Ambiente
- Estimation of Particulate Matter emissions from domestic wood combustion in Lombardy via an extensive survey of 33,000 students’ families in 250 schools.
- Review of publications on Climate Change and research projects on Air Quality
- Project management of the Kyoto-Lombardy and PARFIL research programmes on climate change and fine particle emissions in the Lombardy region.
Education and training
1) 2-14 September 2008 – Peyresq, France
- Summer School “Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services”
- ALTERNET – A Long Term Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Awareness Research Network, EU 6th Framework Programme
2) 8-16 June 2007 – Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti, Venice, Italy
- Summer School “Pathways to Environmental Sustainability”
3) February – September 2005
- Post-lauream course “Environment and Landscape Management: instruments for action”
- University of Milan, Department of Human Geography and European Social Fund
4) September 1997 – November 2003
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Sciences – Final grade: 108/110
- University of Milano Bicocca, Department of Sciences for Environment and Territory
1) 2010 – 2014
- Geography and Mathematics A-level and GCSE private tutoring, also in collaboration with Campbell Harris College and Greater London Tutors
2) 2009 – 2014
- Undergraduate tutoring at UCL – Human Ecology, Physical Geography, Statistics for Environmental Geographers, Global Environmental Change
3) April – May 2004
- Participatory lessons with primary school teachers on energy and climate – Kids4Energy project coordinated by the Italian Association of Environmental Sciences
2018: Travel funding from FIU Tropics, the Institute of Water and Environment, and School of Environment, Arts and Society (SEAS) to attend SWS Annual Meeting (Denver, May 29-June 1), AQUATROP (Quito, Ecuador, 23-26 July 2018), and the US LTER All Scientists Meeting (Oct 1-4 2018)
2017: Travel funding from FIU SERC and SEAS to attend the SWS Annual Meeting (San Juan, Puerto Rico)
2017: Travel funding from the University of California (Santa Barbara) National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis to participate in the working group on metacommunity dynamics across U.S. LTER sites
2016: Travel funding from the organizers of the 10th INTECOL Wetlands conference (Changshu, China) and from FIU SEAS
2016: FIU SERC travel funding for the 101st Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting
2014: UCL Graduate School 2nd conference fund – “Water resources and wetlands”
2012: UCL Graduate School 1st conference fund – “9th INTECOL International Wetlands”
2011: British Phycological Society meeting attendance fund – “Advanced Course Blue-Green and Green Algae”. University of Durham
2009: Postgraduate Research Award for two six-weeks fieldtrips in the Okavango Delta. Royal Geographical Society – Institute British Geographers (RGS-IGB)
2009: UCL Graduate School Research Projects Fund
Grant proposals submitted
2017: Co-Principal Investigator and lead author. Assessing the effects of fire on periphyton, vegetation, and prey availability for the Cape Sable seaside sparrow (CSSS) in the Everglades marl prairie. US National Park Service – Everglades Ecosystem Restoration and Management
2018: South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium
2016: National Science Foundation / Division of Environmental Biology
2016: University of Antwerp, University Research Fund, Concerted Research Project
Freshwater Biology (2), Algologie Cryptogamie (1), Diatom Research (1), Hydrobiologia (1), Journal of Ecology (1), Journal of Great Lakes Research (1), Solutions (1), Water (1)
– At FIU, I led a survey of postdoctoral scholars’ needs, suggestions, and ideas for career advancement.
– I coordinated the poster session at the 2016 FCE LTER All Scientists Meeting.
– At the University of Milano Bicocca, I served as Student Representative, wrote in a student magazine, and presented at and/or co-organized well-attended seminars on climate change and hydrogeological risk.
Scientific society service
As a member of the Society of Wetland Scientists, I contributed to writing the Changshu Declaration on Wetlands. 10th INTECOL Wetlands conference, Changshu (China), Sep. 2016.
2018: I co-organized a fieldtrip for undergraduate students in Everglades National Park (April 7) with Paul Julian and Xavier Cortada to raise / sustain awareness about the importance of this wetland as a natural and cultural heritage for youth in Miami and South Florida
2016: Climate Reality Leader presentation. South Miami community meeting
2014: Show’n’ Tell “Okavango” Grant Museum of Zoology. Introduction of my PhD project to the public and selection of a hippopotamus skull specimen from the Museum’s 68,000 objects
2013. Ecology at the Heart of the 21st Century. Blog post on the 11th International Ecology Association Congress and the Centenary of the British Ecological Society. UCL Geography blog
2010: Audio slideshow on Ph.D. on algae in the Okavango Delta – Royal Geographical Society
2007: Co-organization and seminar presentation of the public conference “Kyoto calls Milan: climate is changing, what about you?”. University of Milan Bicocca (in Italian)
Awards and memberships
2013: UCL Union Colours Award for my activities as Postgraduate Student Representative in the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences in support of students’ welfare and rights
2011: UCL Research poster competition; runner-up prize in the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences (poster title: “Algae in the Okavango Delta: investigating the ‘invisible’ life”)
Current member of: Ecological Society of America; Society of Wetland Scientists; Society of Freshwater Science; International Society of Limnology. Past member of: British Ecological Society; Royal Geographical Society
Writing and other work experience
1) February 2009 – August 2011
- Free-lance writer at Responding to Climate Change
2) June – September 2009 and April – July 2010
- Outreach executive at Responding to Climate Change and Climate Change TV
- Involvement of sponsors in publication for delegates at United Nations conferences
3) December 2003 and December 2009
- Participation in the 9th and 15th UNFCCC Conference of the Parties (COP9, COP15) as collaborator of Responding To Climate Change (RTCC).
I attended the Climate Reality Leader course with Al Gore in Miami (September 2015)
Italian Red Cross first aid team member (and leader) and ambulance driver (1999-2006).
Organization of conferences and seminars on climate change and of a course on environmental issues directed to civil servants working in local authorities (2004-2008)